AUGUST 10/14
Lord, I feel like I can barely gasp enough air before I start sinking again.
This is
ri-di-cu-lous. How could so much be so wrong? We’ve
already dealt with difficult trials. We already dealt with a private pain
that threatened the size of our family. Then when we were pregnant for
the first time, we almost lost her halfway through pregnancy to the parvo virus
and had to get in utero blood transfusions. Mark – at not even
30 – had to make a career switch because his wrist, damaged in a
work accident and left with arthritis and very limited range of motion after
two surgeries, couldn't endure physical work any longer.
The circle
of pain widens. Our dads, within the past couple of years, have dealt
with prostate cancer and a major heart attack. Too many close friends
have experienced heavy challenges and horrible tragedy, including the loss of a
one-week-old baby. WHY?
Why does
Mark’s body have to be so broken? He’s already been through
multiple major surgeries – appendix removal, hip bone graft to fix the broken
scaphoid bone, a second surgery to further fix the bone that did not heal, a
biopsy, and now another surgery (after radiation) and potentially more
surgeries down the road? His "good bad wrist" – as
in, the one he was born with that has an arteriovenous (blood vessel)
malformation overlying a bowed forearm bone – already causes him arthritis
and draws a lot of what's-with-your-wrist questions (people think that's the
one he broke). The back problems have significantly changed his
life, stripping him of the ability to do the things he loves: play sports,
take his daughters for a mall date, and even lift his sweeties up to embrace them. As if
this isn't enough, he's on very powerful acid reflux meds – which he
might take for life – to stop the recurring sore throats and
potential damage to his esophagus from chronic acid upflow. Now... the
ugly, painful, life-changing C-word?
Why does he
have to experience so much pain? He’s already dealing with
arthritic wrists. The pain from the bulging discs and herniations in his
back is not letting up, and between the back pain and pain from the incision –
which is STILL infected and extremely painful 4 weeks later – he just can’t get
comfortable. WHY WON’T PAIN MEDS WORK – AT ALL? The strongest pain
med is barely touching the pain, and just makes him feel sick. Oh, and
the antibiotics are also making his stomach turn.
I fear for
our future. All of my initial research wreaked havoc on my emotions
because the medical journals indicated that this was a serious cancer – the
phrase “poor prognosis” haunted my thoughts. Will my daughters grow
up without a father? Will I have to raise them solo? If
we do get through the cancer, it will always threaten to return (and even more
so in an NF patient since their cells are programmed to divide unnaturally). Neurofibromatosis is hideous. Google images is filled with disfiguring tumours and Google searches talk about NF sufferers who deal with countless surgeries and chronic pain. A lifetime of
monitoring existing tumours, watching for new growth, removing problematic
ones? A lifetime of relentless pain – that won’t respond to
medication? The potential of all three of our beautiful,
innocent daughters, having to deal with the same?
I can’t bear
it. I’m drowning.
I want to
stop here. But I will take my lead from the authors of the painful
laments of the Bible. In those cries, there is a clinging on to the
promises and the goodness of God. And sometimes, there’s even a
praise! Too frustrated and broken to use my own words of praise, I borrow
those of the 77th psalm, starting with the lament:
I cried out to God for help;
I cried out to God to hear me.
When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;
at night I stretched out untiring hands,
and I would not be comforted.I remembered you, God, and I groaned;
I meditated, and my spirit grew faint.
You kept my eyes from closing [it is 5:30 and I’ve been up since 2:30];
I was too troubled to speak.
I thought about the former days,
the years of long ago;
I remembered my songs in the night.
My heart meditated and my spirit asked:“Will the Lord reject forever?
Will he never show his favor again?
Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
Has his promise failed for all time?Has God forgotten to be merciful?
Has he in anger withheld his compassion?”Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago [Aliyah’s miracle, the working out of Mark’s new career...].
I will consider all your works
and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”Your ways, God, are holy.
What god is as great as our God?
You are the God who performs miracles;
you display your power among the peoples.
Lord, help
me when it’s hard to praise you.
No comments:
Post a Comment